Minnesota is known as the “Land of 10,000 Lakes”, so there is definitely no shortage of fun opportunities to get out on the water. From paddling a canoe to enjoying an amazing dinner cruise, there is sure to be something for everyone. Check out these beautiful lakes of Minnesota and all of the amazing things to do on them!
Popular Minnesota Lakes and Activities
- Leech Lake – Completely surrounded by the Chippewa National Forest, Leech Lake is located in north central Minnesota and is the third largest lake in the state. Home to 11 different islands and shoreline with numerous bays, Leech Lake is a great fishing location and is popular for activities that include swimming, boating, canoeing, cycling, hiking, horseback riding, and almost 375 miles trails for snowmobiling in the winter.
- Lake Phalen – Boasting over 500k visitors each year, Lake Phalen is located in Maplewood, just northeast of Saint Paul. This urban lake is popular for fishing, sailing, and boating, and is, in fact, the only spot in the city where swimming is allowed. Other popular lake activities include an 18-hole shoreline golf course as well as an amazing Chinese garden for guests to enjoy.
- Lake Minnetonka – If you’re looking for a unique experience on Lake Minnetonka, take a cruise with Paradise Charter Cruises. Guest enjoy their choice of sightseeing, dinner, happy hour, or holiday cruises on Lake Minnetonka. Experience the history and old-world charm of the small lake towns and the gorgeous scenery of Lake Minnetonka. From sightseeing to a celebratory dinner, Paradise Charter Cruises offers a unique way to enjoy Lake Minnetonka for any occasion.
- Lake Bemidji – This glacially formed lake in Northern Minnesota is located within the Lake Bemidji State Park, a popular recreational area. The perfect destination for nature lovers, there is boating, canoeing, kayaking, and fishing, as well as a beach with picnic tables, grills, a volleyball court, and restrooms. The extensive trail network that surrounds the lake is perfect for cycling, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and snowmobiling.
- Lake Vermilion – The fifth largest lake in Minnesota, Lake Vermilion is famous all over the world for amazing fishing for Muskie and walleye. Gorgeous Lake Vermilion is truly a sight to see and was actually rated as one of the most scenic lakes in the U.S. by The National Geographic Society in the 1940s.
- Lake Calhoun – Minneapolis’s largest lake, Lake Calhoun is part of the Grand Rounds National Scenic Byway. This popular lake has three beaches for swimming, canoeing, kayaking, and windsurfing. In addition, it is surrounded by walking and bike trails, as well as parkland with picnic areas, volleyball nets, and athletic fields.
- Lake Superior– Known as the North Shore, the most western corner of Lake Superior is in the state of Minnesota. Part of the Great Lakes, Lake Superior is known for its beautiful rocky cliffs, tree-covered hills, and unique cobblestone beaches. Enjoying the amazing North Shore Scenic Drive, a visit to the Superior National Forest along the Canadian border, The Split Rock Lighthouse, kayaking, canoeing, and fishing are all popular activities on Lake Superior in the summer as well as ice fishing or skating in the winter!
- Lake Harriet – Its central location in the southwestern area Minneapolis makes Lake Harriet the perfect place for recreational and special events in the area. There is a band shell that offers a variety of live entertainment opportunities, as well as a pavilion for relaxing and enjoying the lake views. Guests enjoy sailing, walking and cycling trails, as well as two beaches for swimming and sunbathing.
- Lake Pepin – Shared with neighboring Wisconsin, Lake Pepin is home to the only working lighthouse along the Mississippi River, which is located at the entrance to Lake City Marina, one of three marinas on the Minnesota side of the lake. In addition, Frontenac State Park is nestled along the shoreline of Lake Pepin and offers camping, bird watching, hiking, and fishing.
Get Out on the Lake in Minnesota with Paradise Charter Cruises
When you’re ready to experience a unique and entertaining time on the water in Minnesota, the team at Paradise Charter Cruises is here to ensure a cruise you will never forget! We offer sightseeing cruises, happy hour cruises, margarita cruises, dinner cruises, brunch cruises, private charters for your special occasions, and more! Call us at 888-559-8058 or contact us online here to make a reservation today!